Skin Care Tips – 10 Tips for Winter Proof Skin
Is your skin has started feeling dry, flaky and irritated its time to make your skin winter proof with these simple tips that will rescue it from uncomfortable dry feel in this biting cold.
- No Hot-water Bath:- It is such a luxury to have an extended hot shower as it makes us forget all the cold and shivering but hot water damages our skin outer layer stripping it of all the moisture and leaving it dry and itchy. Go for Luke warm water and shorten your duration in shower. I know this is the most difficult task but think about our delicate skin and save it from all the dryness.
- Avoid Harsh Soap and Use Bath Oils:-Harsh Chemical laden soaps/shower gels can be extremely drying and will only worsen the situation. Go for gentle, Soap-free formula based soaps that will remove only the dirt and grime and not the essential moisture from skin layer. Also you can add bath oils which will soothe itchy dry skin
- Moisturizer Layer:- Seal in the moisture of your skin by slathering rich moisturizing lotions or Body Butter post shower. Opt for rich oil based moisturizers that contain petroleum jelly or glycerin and you can layer them up essential body oils for extra nourishment. I love using Dove Indulgement Shea Butter, Vaseline Cocoa Glow, and TBS Moringa Body Butter to moisturize my dry skin.
- Exfoliate:-We must use exfoliates at least once a week using a mild scrub to get rid of the dead skin cells and let moisturizer sink in easily. This weekly scrubbing routine will keep skin free from dry cells and make you feel fresh.
- Use Creamy Cleansers/Face Wash:- I have an extremely dry skin which turn flaky in winters so soapy face washes are an absolute no. Instead, I go for moisturizing face washes, cleansing milk or mild foaming cleanser that doesn’t dry out my skin. I like Dove Beauty Moisture Face Wash and The Body Shop Vitamin E Facial Cleanser for Winters.
- Avoid Alcohol Based Toners: People with dry facial skin must avoid harsh and alcohol based toners which will strip oil form skin. Instead, go for a cleansing milk or mild foaming cleanser, and alcohol-free toners
- Apply Moistursing Masks:- Go for masks that are highly moisturizing rather than clay-based, which tends to draw moisture out of the face. I love homemade nourishing masks to restore the skin’s softness and smoothness. Love the Banana+Lemon face pack for its moisturizing effect.
- Must apply Sunscreen/Sunblock:– It is a myth that sunscreen are just for summers. Winter sun and invisible UVA/UVB rays can still damage your skin. Hence, never skip sunscreen irrespective of the temperature or weather conditions outside. Go for a broad-spectrum sunscreen for your face and exposed body parts before stepping outside. Reapply frequently if you stay outside a long time.
- Increase Fluid Intake:- We tend to decrease the amount of water intake and gorge on hot beverages like coffee and tea but that should be avoided and water intake should be more. Include fresh juices in your daily routine like carrot, orange which will supply essential nutrients to your body
- Cover up:- Wrap hair with a scarf and protect hands by wearing gloves whenever you step outside. For people like me who get irritation by wool when worn directly, slip on a thin cotton glove first, to avoid any irritation.
I used to take bath in hottest water (almost boiling) that my body can bear but getting acquainted to its bad effects I avoid hot showers. Along with it I follow the rest of the suggested tips which helps my skin to retain its moisture and cope up with dry winters without getting dry and irritated.
Happy Winters 🙂