10 Healthy Foods to Fight Acid Reflux
Acid reflux is basically a stomach abnormality and about 25 to 40 percent people suffer from the problem of acid reflux or Stomach acid. At the opening of our stomach is a valve known as the lower esophageal sphincter, which closes as soon as the food is passed through; however, at times, this lower esophageal sphincter fails to close and allows the contents of food to get into the esophagus which causes severe heart burn or chest pain. If the symptoms persist for more than two weeks, a person is suffering from acid reflux disease.
Let’s find out in detail, what is the root cause of Acid Reflux.
Causes of Acid Reflux:
- Eating too much and lying down immediately,
- eating heavy meals and bending at the stomach or lying down on your back,
- drinking cold drinks, sodas, coffee or tea,
- Consuming spicy or fatty food,
- Smoking and Intake of BP tablets
Symptoms of Acidity /Acid Reflux:
- Sudden Weight loss
- A dry cough, sore throat, wheezing
- Dysphasia- difficulty while swallowing
- Heart burn
- Hiccups which don’t stop
- Bad breath
- Black stool
- Bitter taste in the mouth
Also Read: Science of Weight Loss
Foods that Fight Acid Reflux:
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal is an amazing way to kick start the day and it’s great to consume it at any time, it is filling and does not cause reflux! You can consume instant oatmeal teamed up with oatmeal as well, and you will feel good as it absorbs all the acidity in the raisins! It is a great option and wonderful home remedies for heartburn
- Ginger: It is one of the best foods to prevent acid reflux, as it is an anti-inflammatory and keeps gastrointestinal diseases at bay! It can be peeled, diced, sliced, grated and consumed or you could just add it to your smoothies to add a twist! It is a great option for Gerd treatment too.
- Aloe Vera: One of the most popular healing agents, which is good for your skin, hair and body! It is good for treating acid reflux problems and a natural acidity cure which can be consumed by itself or in the form of a juice!
- Bananas: If you are looking out for a good snack that will not cause gastrointestinal problems as it has a pH 5.6, however, keep in mind that 1 out of 50 percent people face acid reflux with bananas, so what works for others might not work for you and vice versa.
- Melons: Melons have a pH of 6.1and help prevent gas reflux to a great extent! These are similar to bananas when it comes to efficiency and about 1 to 2 percent of people shall avoid it. So, if you are looking for Foods to Add to Your Diet for Acid Reflux, melons are a great option!
- Poultry: Anything that comes from the poultry from chicken to turkey is excellent for acid reflux, you can boil it, sauté it, grill it, bake it, however, always ensure to peel the skin out to avoid excess intake of fats.
- Green Vegetables: Any person suffering from acid reflux should include green roots and vegetables in their diets such as cauliflower, asparagus, broccoli, beans, and spinach. One of the best Foods to Add to Your Diet for Acid Reflux. Also Read: 10 Super Foods to Lose Belly Fat
- Celery: As much as celery is good for people dieting, it’s just as good for acid reflux due to the high water content. It also works as an appetite suppressor and a good source of roughage, hence a great option for Foods That Reduce Acid Reflux.
- Fish/Seafood: Sea food is excellent and can be consumed either boiled sautéed or baked, never fry it though! Lobsters, shrimps, and shellfishes can be included in your diet. You could opt for wild raised fish, as it’s highly recommended by experts.
- Fennel: Fennel helps with acid reflux and works wonders for people suffering from a stomach infection. Slice it thin and consume, it has this slight tinge of licorice which tastes good. You could add it to your salads or chicken dishes just to make it tastier.
In the end, it’s all about eating clean and healthy and your body will thank you for it. It is best treating Acid Reflux Disease With Diet and Lifestyle Changes and stay healthy. These foods make great acidity remedies and keep the stomach pH neutral.
Which of these 10 Foods that fight acid reflux worked the best for you?
Author: Cidra Khan
PS: I do not claim the ownership of images used here!